Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Road to Recovery 康复之路


Isaiah 53: 5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

53:5    哪 知 他 为 我 们 的 过 犯 受 害 , 为 我 们 的 罪 孽 压 伤 。 因 他 受 的 刑 罚 我 们 得 平 安 。 因 他 受 的 鞭 伤 我 们 得 医 治
 

My wife arrived at the ward early in the morning. She was apparently tired during this difficult time, having sleepless nights since receiving the news. She bore all the burden of whatever doctors would not tell me directly. I was thankful she tried her best to look positive in front of me.


I was given a device after the op to dispense fixed amount of morphine myself whenever I felt painful, by pushing a button. Another doctor came early in the 2nd morning to ask about my pain level, scale 1-9. I could not remember what I told him. Thank God, most of the time the pain was bearable. Then came the physiotherapist. I was asked to move myself to the chair and sat down. She provided instructions on how to move my body and used other muscles in order not to stress the wounds. The tips proved very useful during the recovery phase. I managed to get to the chair, and sat for couple of hours. She taught breathing techniques and gave me a device to exercise my lungs every hourly. It was not good to have too little activities, she said, I needed to improve my blood circulation through simple exercises.


In the afternoon, I was moved out of High Dependency Ward. The nurses at the ward were very attentive, all the patients were comforted by their kindness and professionalism. I was assigned to another ward, which was much quieter. 


I tried to do some reading on Bible, some other books and newspaper. I was less dependent on the morphine compared to the day before. The pain-assessing doctor came again and asked the pain level. I told him the pain had halved. The nurse came every 2 hourly to monitor blood pressure and temperature. 


Many people prayed for me, many quoted Isa 53:5. I knew I have to receive this promise into my spirit, and claim victory and healing in my Lord Jesus.  I was feeling much better, and could sat on the chair while my children visited in the evening. Then the Lord blessed me with a night of sound sleep.






No comments: