Thursday, August 21, 2014

Care and Support

During this period, a friend was unfortunately diagnosed with cancer. It was a tough time for him. Some side effects and complication during his chemotherapy and radiotherapy have weighed heavily on him.

Emotionally a lot of patients would be drained. They are uncertainties, and some time fear of the unknown. The treatment itself poses a challenge. We could not anticipate how the side effects turn out. Different patient may have entirely different reaction to the treatment.

I remember the first time I underwent chemotherapy. The side effects was fairly mild. Typically few days each session ended, lethargy would set in. The body felt weak, and most time I would just rest or sleep. Of course, I took precaution to avoid going to crowded place as the immune level was weakened.  I went through 9 sessions, coping fairly well. There were times I lost appetite, felt tired more easily, but overall it was not too bad. One of the surgeons actually told me I took the chemo fairly well.

However, during the 2nd time I went through chemotherapy with different drug combination, the situation was quite different. I have bad side effects. I threw up, had constant diarrhea, lost my appetite and were too weak to do lots of activities. Dehydration set in. At a point I lost so much salt that it was like someone in coma. Along the way, the oncologist gave booster for red and white blood cells, infuse protein to keep the body functioning well, to cope with the side effects. It was tough, and times and again I cried out to God for help.

Emotionally it could be quite taxing. As the patient would not know what would happen next, what kind of side effect would came, one could get very frustrated. The mood may fluctuate. Not all the feeling could be verbalized. Some resort to emotional outburst to release some frustration.  Those who gave care may not fully comprehend, but unfortunately they bear the brunt of all the emotional out-letting. It would be best to assure the patient, and stand by them with love and patience. No easy task especially this could drag on for a while.

Looking back, I am thankful that God had helped me, granted me strength and saw me through the challenging time. Of course, the medical team, family and friend provided a support network that was so important. Maintaining some sense of humor, keeping faith, be appreciative of what we have (and not harboring on what we do not have) and keeping a balanced diet would help to cope better.

For the past 3 months:
The PET-scan done on Jun 24 turned out to be good. Thank God for the positive results.
The blood and urine test reports were good.

Jul 22, I went to see the radiologist. He was a kind doctor and willing to hear and discuss any concerns. The last visit was 1 year ago. So examination was done on the abdomen and back area.

The 2 subsequent monthly blood and urine tests were well. The latest marker CEA has crept up, the oncologist said would monitor the trend, nothing to be concerned.









Colossians 1:13  Amplified Bible (AMP) 
13 [The Father] has delivered and drawn us to Himself out of the control and the dominion of darkness and has transferred us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,

歌罗西书 1:13(CNVS)

13 他救我们脱离了黑暗的权势,把我们迁入他爱子的国里。


Luke 10:19  Amplified Bible (AMP) 
19 Behold! I have given you authority and power to trample upon serpents and scorpions, and [physical and mental strength and ability] over all the power that the enemy [possesses]; and nothing shall in any way harm you.

路加福音 10:19(CNVS)

19 我已经给你们权柄,去践踏蛇和蝎子,胜过仇敌的一切能力。绝对没有甚么能伤害你们了。

No comments: