Thursday, April 3, 2014

Grace Abound

I was reminded of how much I have been blessed.

Late last year when I saw the oncologist, I asked by when the treatment could be stopped. He was rather coy about this. However, he told me that there was no hurry to rock the boat. Many patients who have the disease at such stage would have fallen, he said.

I was thankful - for a while I felt inconvenienced by the 2-weekly visit to the hospital to receive treatment, including the 4-weekly review, also another visit for blood sampling prior to each review.

Throughout this period, I have learnt quite a lot from the fellow patients, medical workers and friends. There was an old patients in his 70s who showed me how to read the blood test report.
There were many patients who showed resilience, graciousness despite the suffering they have been through. The doctors, nurses and staff, particularly those at public hospital, were amazingly patient, maintaining the cool despite long hour of work and overwhelming number of patients. Most of them remained cheerful, approachable and dedicated. One of the nurses, who hailed from my hometown, was particularly impressive. She has been so meticulous, paid great attention and put in her full heart in attending to the patients. She cleaned up wounds so well and carefully, dispensed advice on how to take good care of the wounds and general well being. Many friends have also rendered support, prayers and shared generously with us.

Of course, unflinching support from my family, my wife in particular, has made the whole process much more bearable.

"There is in the worst of fortunes the best of chances for a happy change."said Greek dramatist Euripides. I was pushing back thoughts on what could have gone wrong in getting such disease. Not entirely in denial mode but evading something which I could not fully handle earlier on. I went through a few books recently on related subject and have been motivated to make changes.

For now, I tried to lived a life which is more structured, disciplined and healthier. This includes diet, exercise, mental and spiritual discipline. Also trying to get better balance among work, leisure and rest. Artistic therapy is commonly employed as part of therapy, like at the colorectal support group at the hospital. Whenever possible, I would practice some Chinese calligraphy. Aiming to get fitter, stronger and healthier by the day.

The 2 latest rounds of review on Mar 4 and Apr 1 were all positive.

Thankful for the grace from God Almighty.










Col 2:9  因为神本性一切的丰盛都有形有体的居住在基督里面, 
Col 2:10  你们在他里面也得了丰盛。他是各样执政掌权者的元首。
Col 2:9  For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 
Col 2:10  And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: 

No comments: